Growing Mandevilla Plant Guide: Everything You Need to Know
The Mandevilla plant is a popular choice for gardeners, including both beginners and experts. This is because the Mandevilla plant produces beautiful and bright-colored flowers. Since this plant gives tropical vibes, gardeners love to see them grow not only in their backyards but also in their house’s patio. If you have never tried growing Mandevilla plants, it is essential to know how to care for them properly. This way, you can ensure that the plants will thrive, and you can keep them in their best conditions.
Why Choose Mandevilla Plant
As a novice gardener, you have many options to choose from when it comes to flowering plants. But there is something with the Mandevilla plant that makes it one of gardeners’ and homeowners’ favorites. If you are wondering what makes Madevilla plant special, here are some reasons why you should consider planting it:
- Blooms beautifully
One of the top reasons why gardeners choose the Mandevilla plant is because it can improve your home’s aesthetics. This plant is characterized by big, shiny leaves and eye-catching blooms. The Mandevilla plant flowers come in a wide range of shades, including crimson, pink, yellow, purple, cream, and white. Not only that, but the plant has a graceful, twining vine that can grow up to 10 feet (3 meters) in a single season.
- Improves air quality
What makes the Mandevilla a great houseplant is it can help you improve your home’s air quality. This is because it produces a lot of oxygen, which serves a critical role in respiration. Besides, humans need oxygen to survive, and the Mandevilla plant is very generous in giving it.
- Provides medicinal benefits
The Mandevilla plant has a history of medicinal use. It has also been used as an ingredient for various herbal remedies. The Mandevilla’s leaves can be used for anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Besides, this plant can also be used to treat ulcers.
- Needs less maintenance
Some people doubt being a gardener because, for them, planting takes time. Not only that, but you also need to exert a lot of effort to keep the plants alive. Gardening could be challenging for beginners, but the Mandevilla plant could be the answer to this predicament. This is because this plant requires a minimal amount of water. Besides, it’s also a very low-maintenance plant and doesn’t require too much effort in care.
- Offers versatility
It is unquestionable why the Mandevilla plant provides tropical vibes. This is because it is considered a tropical plant that can also be used as a houseplant or a garden plant. The exciting part is you can use the Mandevilla plant as a hedge plant.
Mandevilla Plant: Gardener’s Guide
There are so many reasons to love the Mandevilla plant. For sure, you are excited to plant it in your home. Even if you’re a beginner, you can quickly grow Mandevilla and keep it thriving. If you are considering planting Mandevilla, here are some tips to consider:
Leaves and Branches
- Make sure to get rid of the dead leaves and cut off damaged or diseased branches. Doing so will keep your Mandevilla plant in good condition.
- Pruning your Mandevilla will create a bushier and fuller plant. Try to pinch your Mandevilla vine by only using your fingers to pinch off 1/4 to 1/2 inch (6 ml. to 1 cm.) off the end of each stem.
Soil and Water
- One of the best ways to grow Mandevilla is by planting the seeds out in the loose soil. Try to plant the seeds at least three inches away from each other to all grow in harmony. In the first year, you will notice that they will grow out of the pot. In the second year, they will be too big to fit in the pot, so look for a bigger area where you can plant them.
- If you are growing Mandevilla from seed, make sure to water it daily to keep the soil moist. Suppose you are using hydroponics; you can put the seeds directly into the nutrient solution. After that, add a light misting of water.
- Don’t forget to water the Mandevilla plant and feed it with a high-quality fertilizer.
Sunlight and Location
- Put your Mandevilla plant in the best condition. Usually, it grows well in hot, humid climates. The best part is they can be grown indoors or outdoors.
- Mandevilla is more comfortable to grow indoors, making it an ideal plant for beginners. They grow quickly and produce beautiful flowers from March to May.
- When growing Mandevilla, you need to be extra careful with the type of light they receive. Mandevilla vines need some shade since they enjoy bright, indirect light or filtered sunlight. However, they can get burned in direct, full sunlight.
- When you bring your Mandevilla flowers indoors, make sure to check the plant carefully if there are pests so that you can get rid of them before bringing the plant indoors. You may want to cut back the plant by up to one-third.
Interesting Facts About the Mandevilla Plant
Growing Mandevilla plants has caught the interest of many gardeners, and if you are interested in it, it’s time to know some exciting facts about it. Did you know that:
- The Mandevilla plant looks like a vine, but it’s not. It is a shrub that can be grown in containers indoors.
- This plant comes in many names. Aside from Mandevilla, you can also call it love-in-a-mist, passionflower, monkey puzzle tree, Queen of the Night, and lastly, the Lady of the Night.
- The Mandevilla plants may be small, but they are beautiful and very easy to grow. These plants are native to the tropics, meaning they can thrive well in warm and humid conditions.
- The Mandevilla plant comes from the same family as passion fruit. It has a similar taste to the fruit, which also serves as a great kitchen plant. The leaves are also edible, which can be used in salads. When the flowers are dried, you can use them to make jam.
- Mandevilla plants have a strong, sweet citrus scent which is ideal for your home. You can place it in a vase or add it to the fragrance diffuser to spread the citrus scent. Mandevilla can also be grown outside, although it is sensitive to cold temperatures.
Beginners and experts in gardening love the Mandevilla plant because it requires less maintenance but offers many benefits. From improving your home’s air quality to enhancing your house’s aesthetics, there are so many reasons to love this plant. Although you may need less time and effort to grow a Mandevilla plant, proper care is essential to ensure your Mandevilla plants’ health and keep the quality of the flowers. Suppose you want to maintain the beauty of this plant and produce radiant flowers, make sure to take care of your Mandevilla plant.