Most people are aware of the health benefits of herb plants. However, few people know about these 15 shocking facts!
1. You can eat an entire plant in one day! You’ll make it up on my next post.
2. Organic herb plants contain more Vitamins A and C than regular vegetables, as well as more Iron and Potassium!
3. Most herbs originate from Mediterranean countries like Italy and Greece!
4. You can also eat the roots of certain herbs, which would be amazing with chocolate. (Cinnamon and pepper)
5. Eat more celery for better vision. Watch the video below by Dr. Oz!
6. Goji berries are one of the healthiest foods you can eat! They have been proven to reduce inflammation, boost energy levels and fight cancer cells! (Our Body Shop sells these amazing Goji Berries!)
7. There is a herb plant called Echinacea, which can fight off infections and boost the immune system!
8. Oregano (the herb plant that we all know and love) can be used to clean your house, eliminate odours and even as an insecticide!
9. Cinnamon bark can be used to treat stomach aches, prevent nausea and vomiting in pregnancy, relieve toothaches, lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes mellitus and improve brain function.
10. Chamomile tea contains compounds that can help relieve stress, lower blood pressure and protect you from free radical damage.
11. There’s also an essential oil blend called Lavender Oil, which can be used as a home remedy for many things including depression, insomnia and restlessness!
12. The fruit of Frankincense (a tree in the Malvaceae family) is called an oleoresin!
13. Neroli has been used to treat depression for centuries!
14. Rosemary essential oil actually smells like chicken! You know what else smells like chicken? 3 more herbs: Sage, Thyme and Oregano!
15. Lastly, Angelica (a plant in the Umbelliferae family) contains a compound called apigenin, which has been proven to be 25 times more powerful than Vitamin E! This is how I feel about herbs now… Next time you’re in the store, buy some herbs and see which ones you can eat and which ones are too difficult to digest.
And of course, if you’re feeling lazy, just grab a bag of dried herbs from the grocery store!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do you maintain herb plants?
Herb plants live in soil. You can either add new plant fertilizer (which typically contains nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) every two weeks or you can use a mixture of organic compost (which contains micro and macro organisms) with your plant fertilizer.
Can I eat the ones that are too overgrown?
You have to be careful when you’re planting herbs over-sized. Many herbs will grow towards the sun if you leave out the bottom of their pots. This happens to a lot of plants that are grown indoors or in shaded areas. In the wild, herbs grow towards the sun to reach maximum sunlight and get more nutrients.
How do I plant my herb plants?
Generally, whether you’re planting herbs in pots or in the ground, it’s best to use a rich organic soil so your herbs will have more access to oxygen and nutrients. For the best results, you should check out a good organic fertilizer.
What’s the difference between a climbing herb plant and an upright herb plant?
An upright herb plant is more suitable for growing in containers. It grows quite tall and the leaves and stems are strong, so you should be able to hang onto them without worrying about damage.
However, if you’re interested in growing herbs in gardens, climbing herbs are more appropriate. They grow quickly and the stems are thinner and more flexible so you can support them without damaging them.
Grow herbs indoors?
For most herbs there’s no need to worry about a hard frost as they’ll cope with the cool temperatures that you’d normally experience in your home throughout the year. However, many herbs are sensitive to cold temperatures so you may want to move them outside for the summer.
How often do herbs need to be watered?
Most herbs don’t need to be watered very often. Remember that some herbs have more water in them than others, so you’ll want to read the product packaging to make sure that your herb plant doesn’t need much water.
Should I do anything else after watering my herb plants?
It’s good to give your herb plant a little shake every once in a while. This will help the soil from falling off of it and ensure that your herbs are getting enough oxygen. Also, it’s a good idea to remove any dead leaves from your plant so it can continue to grow.
Can I fertilize my herbs?
Most herbs don’t require a lot of fertilizer. However, some herbs that are really tall may need fertilizer to help them grow. Just remember not to over-fertilize because this could cause damage to your plants.
How do I keep my herb garden healthy?
After using them:
Keep herb plants free from bugs, especially ants and termites, as they may eat away at your herb plants’ roots.
If you set out your herb plants in the ground:
It’s important to add a little extra fertilizer to your herbs’ soil before planting so that they can grow well.
When you water your herbs:It’s best to water the soil around the roots of your herb plant rather than the leaves.
Do herbs grow back after cutting?
Cutting the tips of an herb plant’s leaves will help it grow back. Most herbs can grow multiple leaves from a single stem, so you’ll have plenty of leaves to use in the future.
If you cut an entire stem:
Plant it in a container and care for it well. It will likely be able to grow back after some time.
If you cut your herb plant too much:
Try to prevent its stem from drying out.
How long do herb plants last?
If you properly care for your herb plants and provide them with the right amount of nutrients, they may last several years. However, if they’re not cared for properly, they will die within a few weeks or months.
How do I repot an herb plant?
Some larger herb plants can be repotted easily by placing them in a container with a drainage hole and filling it with the amount of soil that the plant will use. However, most herb plants can be repotted by simply taking the plant out of its container and planting it in a new container.
How can I make sure that new herbs are healthy?
To ensure that your herbs are growing well, you should take the time to look at them occasionally. This will enable you to see whether they are getting enough nutrients or if they need anything else to be taken care of. You should also water your new herb plants regularly so that they don’t dry out.
Why can’t I keep herbs alive?
If you are having trouble keeping your herbs alive, it may be because you’re not providing them with enough water or fertilizer. In addition, if your herb plants are placed outside, they may die if there is not enough rain.
What can I do with dead or dying herbs?
Kelp them! Kelp is a sea vegetable that has similar properties to garlic and onions but with a salty flavor. You can add it to soups or stews at the end of cooking as a seasoning.
What is the best mulch for herb garden?
Mulch is a great way to keep your herbs warm in the cooler months. You can use anything that insulates, including straw, hay or grass clippings.
How do I go about starting my herb garden?
To start an indoor herb garden, you first need to decide which herbs you would like to grow. What is your favorite herb? Do you want to try growing something new? An indoor gardening kit makes it easy because all the materials are included and the directions are simple.
Herbs contain essential oils that have medicinal, culinary and aromatic benefits. They can be used fresh or dried for later use. Herb gardens are low maintenance and a great way to bring fresh herbs indoors. Indoor herb gardens can be a fun way to learn about plants while having convenient access to fresh herbs.